Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Night Post 1


The cold metal of the guns, the hungarian police pushed, poked and herded us like cattle. The cold metal of the guns swept across my back as I was thrown to the ground. We were asked to leave and surrender all of our possessions we were asked to move to a smaller ghetto we were hungry we were scared and distressed, we were cattle. One fell the rest moved on, family's clinging on to one another trying to stay together. Little ones falling behind kicked and hit with the guns to stay in the herd. We were cattle, rounded up and beaten ready for slaughter. The guards were relentless and violent. There were shots fired and people fell, we were told to run, pick up the pace. A little boy next to me clung to my dress and ran with my trying to keep up. "Come on" I urged him "we need to move." We reached the gates of another prison, a smaller ghetto for all of these people. We were divided as we came to the gates, some were being pulled away and loaded onto trucks. The boy next to me was grabbed, he held on and resisted the guard crying for his family that he could not find. The officer raised his rifle and gave the boy one more chance. He let go of my dress and looked me in the face those eyes burned themselves into me. The officer beat him with the gun and dragged him away. I entered through the gates grateful for my life and not for those that went the other way.

No comments: